Access To Markets & Festivals
The former Access to Markets and Access to Festivals Programs funded by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC and previously administered by On Screen Manitoba will now be both funded and administered by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC and are rebranded under a single streamlined program called MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s Access to Markets & Festivals.
MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s ACCESS TO MARKETS & FESTIVALS is an industry-driven fund that supports the market development activities of Manitoba production companies, independent producers, distributors, directors and writers at national and international markets and festivals. Production companies are also eligible to apply for up to two (2) in person business trips, trade missions, red carpet screenings, and/or award shows, where the primary activity of the producer will be focused around business meetings and market expansion. MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC reserves the right to consider additional in person marketing activities on a case-by-case basis. In response to current travel restrictions surrounding COVID-19, virtual markets and festival opportunities will be considered for applications received before March 31, 2021.
With these changes a number of enhancements have been made to better serve producers.
Submissions for the program will open on June 1st, 2020 and are sent directly to MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC via the jotform application form and will be accepted up to March 31, 2021 or until funds are exhausted.
Please find below a summary of guideline changes to the 2020/21 program compared to the Access programs in the 2019/20 fiscal year:
- Application and program fees for the applicant have been eliminated. Applicants will only be responsible for self-funding the balance of their approved expenses.
- The quarterly deadline for applications has been eliminated. Complete applications must be received a minimum of 15 business days prior to the event.
- Eligible expenses have been broadened to include third party costs associated with:
- Markets: developing marketing materials that, in MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s opinion, will significantly improve marketability of projects to be pitched at the market; and
- Festivals: promoting the project that, in MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s opinion, will significantly improve marketability of the film screened at the festival.
- See guidelines for further detail on eligible marketing and promotional expenses
- MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC has increased the first payment to 80% of the awarded amount which will be available within seven business days of MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC receiving the signed agreement. The final installment of the Contribution will be based on the total of the actual eligible expenses, after approval of the mandatory final report.
- Air Miles will count toward your eligible expenses however they will be valued at comparable economy rate purchased at least 2 weeks prior to travel.
- In response to current travel restrictions surrounding COVID-19, virtual markets and festival opportunities will be considered for applications received before March 31, 2021.
- Virtual Markets and Festival Opportunities: The MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC payment may cover up to 75% of the eligible event registration cost and up to 50% of the eligible marketing/ promotional expenses up to a maximum contribution of $750.
- In-Person Marketing Initiatives: The MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC payment covers up to 50% of the eligible personal and marketing expenses up to a maximum contribution of $1,500 for North American travel and $2,000 for International travel.
- Trade missions are added as an eligible in person marketing activity.
- Membership in the industry association is no longer a requirement to apply to the MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC Access to Markets & Festivals program.
- Complete applications will be reviewed by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC for eligibility and awards will be based on the strength of the application and the demand on program funding.
- Successful applications will receive notification within approximately twenty-one (21) business days following the receipt of complete documentation at which time they will receive the contribution agreement for signature.
- The pilot initiative of production company slate funding has been removed. All applicants must apply on a per event basis.
- Annual MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC contributions may not exceed $3,000 per individual, and $6,000 per production company.
- Given the low uptake for applications to the Professional Development Fund in 2019/20 and the oversubscription to Access to Markets and Access to Festivals resources have been realigned to better serve the demand and as a result this program has been discontinued at this time.
Please review the complete program guidelines and direct any questions to Brian Clasper, Senior Analyst for Film, TV & Tax Credits at firstname.lastname@example.org.