Call For Applications: OSM MFM Pilot Feature Film Accelerator Program For Screenwriters
Posted on March 26, 2018
On Screen Manitoba and Manitoba Film & Music are pleased to offer a new Pilot Feature Film Accelerator Program for Screenwriters.
The program will provide support to writers of feature films through creative mentorship and story consultation with Script Angel, a UK-based story consultation company. Up to five selected writers will be given access to professional independent script editors for up to three rewrites.
From all the submissions received, up to ten applications will be shortlisted by a blind pre-selection jury that includes production executives and other experienced readers along with OSM and MFM representatives.
The (up to) ten finalists’ applications will then be submitted to a jury of international level industry professionals to select up to five scripts. Those selected by the jury will be invited to participate in the Script Angel mentorship program.
An assigned, experienced screenwriting coach / story editor from Script Angel will work one-on-one with each selected writer via a combination of monthly skype video calls and written summary notes to provide the following over the six-month period of May 15 – November 15, 2018:
– A structured development process to identify strengths and weaknesses in the project and the writing (for example, but not limited to, story structure, characterisation, theme, dialogue) and provide a strategy for addressing these;
– Feedback on drafts (as outline or treatment or script) via a combination of monthly skype video calls and written summary notes; and
– Deadlines for delivery by writer of each new draft and providing accountability to ensure the writer maintains momentum on the project.
In order to be eligible for this program, all applicants must:
– Be a Manitoba resident for not less than 365 days prior to the date of application to this program. Evidence of Manitoba residency may be requested at OSM and MFM’s sole discretion;
– Attend the Script Angel information session from 9:30 – 11:30 am on April 10, 2018;
– Have proof of ownership in the underlying property with which you are applying (see Application Form for more information). Writer(s) must maintain sole ownership of project for the duration of the program;
– Not have written more than two feature film scripts that were produced and released prior to March 29, 2018, with budgets greater than $750,000.
Writing teams of up to two (2) people may apply. In this case, both applicants must meet the above eligibility requirements.
In order to be eligible for this program, all projects must:
– Be a feature length fictional film, as per industry standards; not greater than 120 script pages in length
– Be live action or animation;
– Be primarily intended for theatrical release;
– Not in an active development contract or have any encumbrances against it; and,
– Be in compliance with the laws, regulations, standard and policies applicable to distribution, broadcasting and to intellectual property, and the project must not infringe upon any public or private rights and must not otherwise contravene the Canadian civil and criminal laws in effect.
March 29: An expression of interest in applying must be emailed prior to 5pm CST to firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 10, 9:30 – 11:30 am: All potential applicants must attend the Script Angel information session. Non-Winnipeg residents may participate via an online portal.
April 16: Application deadline – the completed application form, non-refundable application fee and all supporting materials must be received by 5pm CST.
May 9: Final projects (up to 5) will be selected and notified. Successful applicants will be notified by phone; all others will be notified via email.
May 14: Applicants are fully contracted and non-refundable selected applicant program fee must be paid.
May 15 to November 15: Successful applicants work with Script Angel.
Non-Refundable Application Fee
$100 for OSM members
$200 for non-OSM members
*Application fee must be received by the application deadline and no application will be processed until payment is received. (The full cost of each mentorship is in excess of $5000 CDN, so the participant is paying 10% of the actual tuition cost)
$500 non-refundable program fee will be required per selected applicant. Payment is due one week after acceptance into the course.
Click to download the OSM MFM Pilot Feature Film Guidelines and fill out the Application Form.
MFM and OSM reserve the right not to review any application considered to be incomplete or inconsistent with the present guidelines, or to require additional information before proceeding with the application.
Applications which are incomplete and/or do not provide the minimum complete documentation will not be reviewed or assessed.
Any changes or revisions to creative, financial or other supporting documents must be submitted in a timely manner.
It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to review the Guidelines and Application Form to ensure that the contents and the responsibilities within are fully understood and agreed upon.
Questions? Please e-mail email@example.com