Employment Opportunity: Program and Legal Analyst, Film
Posted on September 20, 2022
Employment Opportunity: Program and Legal Analyst, Film
Manitoba Film & Music (MFM) is seeking an individual with business, legal and analytical acumen to join our film financing team. Essential skills include experience in areas of business and contract law, exceptional attention to detail, superior comprehension and analysis abilities, commanding time management skills, and an affinity for client services. Prior knowledge of the film industry is an asset.
Other considerations: Spoken, written and comprehension of the French language will be considered an asset. Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word software is essential.
The position is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Reporting to the Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits, the Program and Legal Analyst, Film is responsible for the delivery of Manitoba Film & Music’s film and television funding programs as follows:
Film program duties include:
- Advise and assist clients on all matters pertaining to development and film program details including, but not limited to, eligibility, documentation requirements and application status.
- Receive, review and analyze all film and television program applications to ensure eligibility from application to completion.
- Complete data entry of all film and television program applications, prepare business affairs reports (BAR) with funding recommendations for review by Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits, and draft financing agreements to ensure vigilant stewardship.
- Review project budgets to ensure compliance with MFM guidelines and industry standard practices.
- Maintain and review production paperwork for productions where MFM is a financial participant including, but not limited to, production cost reports, call sheets, daily production reports and production schedules to ensure compliance with MFM agreements and standard industry practices.
- Continued monitoring of commitment reports to ensure contract obligations are being met and communicate with applicants as required.
- Review and analyze interim and final reporting deliverables for all film program projects and prepare final closing reports with final funding recommendations for review by Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits.
- Review treatments, scripts and other creative documents and provide coverage as required.
- Review screen credits to ensure MFM logo conforms to contract requirements and advise applicants as to the correct Manitoba Film & Video Production Tax Credit screen credit language.
- Track all changes to any public documents in consultation with Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits to comply with Red Tape Reduction Regulations and maintain accurate records of changes consistent with best practices for document requirements.
- Prepare reports on film program statistics for review by Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits as directed.
- Research and prepare communication briefs for film department initiatives.
- Research and maintain database of current production executives to ensure the agency has relevant contacts with funders and broadcasters, aligned with industry practices, licensing agreements and market demands.
Legal duties include:
- Review and analyze legal agreements pertaining to film program applications including, but not limited to, chain of title documentation, collection account management agreements, corporate documentation, co-development/production agreements, completion guarantor agreements, insurance agreements, assignment and direction agreements, distributor and broadcaster agreements, interim financing and other financing agreements to ensure compliance with MFM guidelines and standard practices.
- Present recommendations on legal documentation to Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits and correspond with applicant and applicable legal parties to remedy any issues.
- Prepare financing agreements and make modifications as required for all financing applications for review by Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits. This is inclusive of coordinating third party legal reviews when/if required.
- Continue to ensure MFM’s film program guidelines, application documentation and agreements reflect the current policies of the agency and the standards of the Canadian film and television industry.
- Participate in film program guideline reviews and evaluations, program planning and development and drafting of program guidelines.
- Participate in reviews of film program agreements, recommending changes to Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits, coordinating with outside legal council as applicable and drafting agreement revisions.
- Actively participate with the broader Manitoba Film & Music team on strategic projects focused on sustaining a vibrant Manitoba film industry.
- Participate in outreach sessions to raise awareness of Manitoba Film & Music’s film programs at the request of Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits.
- Attend set visits at the request of Director of Film Programs and Tax Credits.
- Liaise with clients, public, industry and government officials/entities as required.
- Prepare various MFM board reports for review.
- Represent MFM at industry events and participate on committees as may be requested from time to time.
- Participate on juries for other industry programs when requested.
- Assist in drafting responses for various industry information requests, briefing notes, etc.
Other duties as assigned within the scope of the position.
Qualified candidates are required to electronically submit a cover letter and resume (including salary expectations and availability) to Kevin Gabriel, Chief Operating Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: September 30, 2022 at 5 p.m