MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s Access to Markets & Festivals
Posted on June 2, 2020
The former Access to Markets and Access to Festivals Programs funded by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC and previously administered by On Screen Manitoba will now be both funded and administered by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC and are rebranded under a single streamlined program called MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s Access to Markets & Festivals.
With these changes a number of enhancements have been made to better serve producers.
- Submissions for the program will open on June 1st, 2020 and are sent directly to MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC via the jotform application located at https://mbfilmmusic.ca/en/film/program/355 and will be accepted up to March 31, 2021 or until funds are exhausted.
Please find below a summary of guideline changes to the 2020/21 program compared to the Access programs in the 2019/20 fiscal year:
- Application and program fees for the applicant have been eliminated. Applicants will only be responsible for self-funding the balance of their approved expenses.
- The quarterly deadline for applications has been eliminated. Complete applications must be received a minimum of 15 business days prior to the event.
- Eligible expenses have been broadened to include third party costs associated with:
- Markets: developing marketing materials that, in MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s opinion, will significantly improve marketability of projects to be pitched at the market; and
- Festivals: promoting the project that, in MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s opinion, will significantly improve marketability of the film screened at the festival.
- See guidelines for further detail on eligible marketing and promotional expenses
- MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC has increased the first payment to 80% of the awarded amount which will be available within seven business days of MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC receiving the signed agreement. The final installment of the Contribution will be based on the total of the actual eligible expenses, after approval of the mandatory final report.
- Air Miles will count toward your eligible expenses however they will be valued at comparable economy rate purchased at least 2 weeks prior to travel.
- In response to current travel restrictions surrounding COVID-19, virtual markets and festival opportunities will be considered for applications received before March 31, 2021.
- Virtual Markets and Festival Opportunities: The MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC payment may cover up to 75% of the eligible event registration cost and up to 50% of the eligible marketing/ promotional expenses up to a maximum contribution of $750.
- In-Person Marketing Initiatives: The MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC payment covers up to 50% of the eligible personal and marketing expenses up to a maximum contribution of $1,500 for North American travel and $2,000 for International travel.
- Trade missions are added as an eligible in person marketing activity.
- While membership in the industry association is encourage it is no longer a requirement to apply to MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC’s Access to Markets & Festivals program.
- The pilot initiative of production company slate funding has been removed. All applicants must apply on a per event basis.
Complete applications will be reviewed by MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC for eligibility and awards will be based on the strength of the application and the demand on program funding. Successful applications will receive notification within approximately twenty-one (21) business days following the receipt of complete documentation at which time they will receive the contribution agreement for signature.
Annual MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC contributions may not exceed $3,000 per individual, and $6,000 per production company.
Given the low uptake for applications to the Professional Development Fund in 2019/20 and the oversubscription to Access to Markets and Access to Festivals resources have been realigned to better serve the demand and as a result this program has been discontinued at this time.
Please review the complete program guidelines at http://mbfilmmusic.ca/en/film/program/355 and direct any questions to Brian Clasper, Senior Analyst for Film, TV & Tax Credits at firstname.lastname@example.org.